The YMCA Focus
Our Areas of Focus
Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
All kids deserve the opportunity to discover who they are and what they can achieve.
For many youth, the Y is their first—and sometimes only—opportunity to learn about becoming and staying active, and where they begin developing healthy habits they’ll carry with them throughout their lives. At the Y, we work with kids every day to help them set and achieve their personal and educational goals. As a result, hundreds of children and teens in our community gain confidence as they recognize the Y as a place where they belong and can feel comfortable exploring new interests and passions.
Through the Y, youth in the Central Bay Area are cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, better health and educational achievement.
- Child Care — The Y provides a safe, nurturing environment for children to learn, grow and develop social skills so that when children aren’t in the care of their parents, they’re still with people committed to their development and well-being
- Education & Leadership — Through the Y, children and teens gain knowledge, develop character and receive guidance and encouragement to help them learn and realize their potential
- Swim, Sports & Play — The Y offers a wide range of positive, fun activities that build physical and social skills that encourage a lifetime appreciation for active living
- Camp — At camp, the Y provides an exciting, safe community for children and teens to explore the outdoors, build confidence, develop skills and make lasting friendships and memories, so they can grow as individuals and leaders
Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
Like you, we understand that a healthy lifestyle is so much more than just working out. It’s about all of us, getting better together.
True health is a balance of spirit, mind and body. With that in mind, the Y brings families together, encourages healthy living, promotes life-long learning and fosters connections with new and old friends through sports, recreation and shared interests. Beyond fitness equipment and group exercise classes, we provide educational activities and programs that support the whole person.
As a result, thousands of people in our communities receive the support, guidance and resources they need to strengthen their spiritual, intellectual and physical health and well-being.
- Family Time — At the Y, programs bring families together to have fun and grow, so you can strengthen your relationships and build connections with other families
- Health, Well-Being & Fitness — The Y provides resources and guidance to help you maintain or improve health and wellness, so we can all lead our fullest lives possible at any age
- Sports & Recreation — People with shared athletic and recreational interests come together at the Y to compete and support one another, because the rewards of teamwork, friendly competition and exercise are life-long
- Group Interest — To engage spirit, mind and body, the Y community extends beyond physical fitness to include social groups and activities that bring people together around common passions and personal interests
Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
When you become a member of the Y, you join a community of men, women and children united by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living and foster a sense of social responsibility. And together, we’re making a difference.
Serving families has always been at the heart of the Y. We are a place where they can find respite from social, economic and educational challenges, and learn how to overcome them. We provide opportunities for every family to build stronger bonds, achieve greater work/life balance and become more engaged with their communities.
In fact, the YMCA of the Central Bay Area has been listening and responding to our community’s most critical social needs since 1903. From helping children and families in need develop skills and find emotional well-being through education and training to welcoming and connecting diverse demographic populations, the Y fosters the care and respect all people need and deserve.
- Social Services — The Y provides training, resources and support to empower our neighbors to make change and overcome obstacles, so that everyone has the chance to learn, grow and thrive
- Advocacy — As a leading voice on health and well-being, the Y collaborates with policy makers, community leaders and private and public organizations to prevent chronic disease, build healthier communities and encourage social responsibility
- Volunteerism & Giving — At the Y, we provide opportunities for everyone to be a part of our mission, because we can only strengthen our community with your help